Monday, November 13, 2017

A Bit of A Rough Start

Saying goodbye to a great district


Hi Mom!

Woof. What a week. A lot had happened so this will be a long email. Please forgive me. 

Our last days in the MTC were nice; we took a picture with our teachers and got to have some Utah snow before all the rain of Portland! We got on a bus and as we left the MTC, we passed a Taco Bell. Everyone started applauding and cheering like it was some kind of celebrity. Then we got on the front-runner and made our way north. I saw or neighborhood from the train window, which kinda sucked because it triggered my homesickness like none other. We got on Trax and went to the airport. That was pretty weird, because all the TSA agents called us "Elder". We had Cafe Rio at the airport and that was amazing- first real food in 3 weeks. The plane ride here was nice, and we were greeted with rain. President and Sister Bullen greeted us at PDX, but he just kinda said "Welcome Elders" then immediately walked over to talk with the sisters and his wife. Not exactly the warm welcome we were expecting. 

We drove to a church building and had a like initiation, like taking vitamin d3 every day to avoid crippling depression. We went into the chapel and met our trainers. Mine was Elder Evans from Pleasant Grove, whose only been out 3 months. We said a tearful goodbye as a MTC district, and we went to our apartments.

The first night I kept waking up because of my anxiety and so I didn't sleep too well. Then that day i was crossing between sidewalks and a car didn't stop for me. I got hit. I tried to hop off my bike, but my left leg gave way under me. I hopped up, adrenaline coursing through me, and apologized to the man. He had a little kid in the passenger seat, and i didn't want to make the situation worse, so I just kinda shook his hand and he was off. My pant leg ripped in the process, so that sucked. My bike was fine, but it is so small and had such a skinny seat that riding it hurt a lot. We were riding back to our apartment, and I felt so discouraged about everything that had happened in the past 24 hours that I just started bawling. I was so drained I almost fell asleep in our last meeting. It was a hard first day.

The next day I found that riding my bike really hurt my leg, so we had to stay inside most of the day, but we went tracting; something they say never works here, and no one was interested. By day 3 I was so discouraged. I said the biggest and most fervent prayer in my life that morning, and it was so emotional, I nearly passed out afterward. We got me a knee brace, which helped a bit but was really uncomfortable, and I'm gong to the doctor later today for a checkup on my leg. 

I emailed President Bullen and asked for a priesthood blessing, because of my leg and my depressed heart. He gave me one and blessed me with strength and comfort. It helped my heart settle a bit. They can't get me a car, so we've had to walk and get rides everywhere. I feel like such a burden to my companion sometimes. We had dinner with some members Saturday night, so that was very nice. After dinner, we went to this one lady's house, but she wasn't home and it started raining. We began to walk the 2.5 miles back home when some members happened to be driving out for date night and gave us a ride. Tender mercy. 

Sunday here was very nice. We get rides to church, and we started with choir practice. The choir director is Sister Semon, and she's been very nice to us, giving us treats from a bakery. Elder Evans is practicing a choir song with her for Christmas. Church overall went well, but after 3 weeks in the MTC, I forgot about the whole "3 hours thing". After church we went to dinner with the Caziers in the ward, and then we taught a lady named Gina. She wants to be baptized but is worried about what will happen to her sister in Afghanistan if she is. We just talked about church and priesthood with her. 

Overall, this has been the hardest week of my life so far, and it's only week one baby. Oof. Hope my humor comes back to me soon. No one laughs at my sarcasm out here.

All my love, 

Elder Keddington (U)


Good memories were made here


Jesus knocking

Snow in the MTC

A great district

Elder Evans practicing for Christmas














1 comment:

  1. Dear Connor,
    Remember, "And all these things shall give thee experience" One day someone will need the blessing of your compassion that only you will possess @ that time, in that place - for that Brother, Sister, Friend, stranger, or family - and Only because you have suffered through this will your compassion have the power to help and to heal.
    & Remember when you are struggling on your back in the mud - there is only one direction left to go.. Up!
    Starting on our knees. You're on the right track..!
    So many faithful are praying all over the world for "the missionaries"- that's praying for YOU! with the POWER of their LOVE & FAITH! Your faith is taking a beating right now.. So lean on the faith of all of us who love you..Take deep breaths and wait on the Lord..there is so much joy just around the corner!!
    Putting your name on a few temple prayer rolls right now!
    If you need help and accommodation.. Others need the blessing to serve, take your turn so they can have their turn. It's all service!
    Much Much love, "The Fischies"

    ReplyDelete